Monday, June 27, 2011

Updates!

Ok, ok...I know it has been a while. With everything that has been going on (Mom's surgery, closing up shop at my previous job, getting ready to move and anniversary trip) I haven't been able to record as much as I would like to. Nevertheless, Alwaysthemore, I just have a few pix to bring this Natural Journey blog up to date. I can say I have been embracing a bit more...probably because I have given myself time to get used to my texture. (Usually I will wear it overnight and throw some kinky twists in the next day) #SHAME.  I have been rocking the au natural for about a month now, and although the length is not where I want it to be...I am getting a bit used to it. Now, I would be lying if I didn't say it was hard...I mean, I look at other naturalistas hair who BC'd around the same time as me and their hair is longer, or their curl pattern is not quite as tight as mine and I'm like..."what's wrong with my hair?" I know that's not the right mentality to have though...but hey, it does cross my mind.
I have received a lot of positive feedback about my hair...and yeah, I've had some negative ones as well. Why I took to heart the negative feedback and not the positive? Idk...just me I guess.
You know what bothers me though?
Why is it that "other" people can give compliments GALORE and MY OWN PEOPLE have to be the ones to be so doggone critical? For instance, I was out with Dre last weekend, and this "other" lady went on and on about how pretty I was, and how my hair was so pretty, and a "sista" came in, stared, and turned away....its like, we just can't uplift each other? What the cuss is up with that? Or like I mentioned in a previous blog about how everybody is so quick to say the "Natural Movement" is a trend and not everyone should be following it....I do agree, it IS a trend, yet a POSITIVE one that more women are embracing themselves and not following the masses in "fixing what isn't broken"! I can't stand when ppl say to me, "Natural compliments you, but not everyone can do it"...yes they can! If not, you are saying one natural texture is "better than" the other, and to my recollection, God made them all....so, in short, you are not only slighting the created...you're slighting THE CREATOR...just something to think about...
It's even bad when you have natural sistas talking about "who is more natural than the other...the one who BC'D, or the one who transitioned..." ARE YOU SERIOUS? As if the "light-skin vs. dark-skin" issue wasn't already plaguing us, now we have division in who is more natural than the other? My goodness...In the words of Janelle Monae, "I was made to believe there's something wrong with me.."-Cold War.
We have to wake up people...so sorry my update turned into a "vent session", but so much has been bottled up over the past few months...anyhow, good reading and good day beautiful people. ;-)


Tiara Andréan
                                                              5.28.11 1st day after 4 months of twists....
                                                         4 months after BC
                                                           1st twist out...really wasn't comfortable, but hey, sometimes you just have to step out in it! If this wasn't a step into gaining confidence, I don't know what is!
                                                          Baby bro and I at cousin's graduation 6/5/11
                                                        Very 1st time attempting a flat twist, or whatever it is called...I wasn't trying to style. Just wanted to see how to do it.
                                                                6/4/11
                                                           5 months after BC

1 comment:

  1. Well said Daughter!!! I so second those
    Eee-motions! Why are we so caught up in bringing each other down instead of uplifting one another? There is so much beauty in the acceptance of one's attributes that are blessed by God. Changing one's style or fashion should be just that...do what you like, chaange it when you want too... But always, always be happy to know that the God that created us, made us in His own image and it is indeed beautiful, just as we are in our synthetic selves, made up and all...but absolutely nothing like the beautiful queens that God made! This was not intended to be a blog at all, but I had to say it! Thank you Daughter for bringing that up Love you! ##Natural Mom too!

    ReplyDelete