Monday, April 18, 2011

Funky...NOT!

So here we are, at 3 months since my BC, and I am beginning to see the beauty that hid behind the weave...;-) (I say this as I'm rockin' a fresh batch of kinky twists...lol. Last time I promise!)  It is quite frustrating. As I took out my kinky twist, I couldn't notice the growth at first. Even after I got them all out, I wasn't too satisfied with the way it looked...but after playing with it, I began to see the many different benefits of having natural hair...or did I? I was confused! My hair was coming out with each pull from the comb! And the pain was excruciating! I was told this is normal...I mean, it wasn't like big clumps, but it was enough for me! And my coils were so tightly packed...to me it was a MESS! The next morning, I woke up with a matted down mini fro. NOT COOL! I pulled and applied some makeup to feel halfway cute. Lol. To make a long story short, I ended up going to Uncle Funky's Daughter to get an analysis of my hair.
 Let me tell you break it down...After all the hype, I expected the service to be superb, to find out exactly what my hair type was (4b 4c, etc...) and develop a regiment for my hair. Well, I suppose you can say I was a given a regime, but that's pretty much it. When I walked in, there was absolutely no direction. (They definitely need to hire!) I was there for a good 15 minutes before I was asked if I needed any help. Everyone was pretty much occupied. Well, my consultation was with a particular stylist who was already working in someone else's head. I was introduced to her and instructed to fill out an info. card. She then proceeded to ask me what I was looking for, and I told her I was new to the "natural experience" and I wanted guidance in how to take care of my hair. I also mentioned that I was interested in color and finding out what hair styles would work well with my specific hair type. (These are questions you ask a stylist right???) Well, the only thing she half-way answered was about the color. She just gave me a color chart and asked me which one I wanted. No pricing. She even had the nerve to ask me what my hair type was....I started to say, "If I knew I wouldn't be here for no doggone consultation! Lol...Well they had me go look at a chart to see what my hair was close to, and then that was pretty much it. So I could've just stayed home to look at different hair types...sad I tell you. Well the co-owner came to do his part of the job (sell products) and at least he did try a moisturizer on my hair which I must say, did help...he ended up telling me that my hair isn't as tight as I thought it was. It's between a tight curl and loose wave...(whatever that is. ) I tried "Curly Magic" which he told me wasn't going to work, (and it did..shows how much he knew. lol) but I purchased it anyway. My grand total came up to about $73....crazy huh? And this was supposed to be the least expensive route...raspberries. Well...until next time, check out the pictures from this leg of the journey.




 This photo is on my way to Uncle Funky's...trying to fake the funk that I am not feelin' it! lol
                                                       a little wave action...;-) This is with "Curly Magic" and their moisturizer.
                                                       Look at it flex! I was amazed at the length when manipulated!
This is with the moisturizer...all on dry hair!

~Tiara Andréan

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, when you have had your hair in a protective style for a long period of time, yes, their is shedding. Your hair sheds everyday, just think, I have not had my hair combed in 2 months. Now, I can tell you make sure you use a wide tooth comb and comb out in sections. NEVER stick your head in water then comb out from this state... You will be UPSET, not safe. Deep condition or use a protein treatment in between your styles as well. Now for color, now you know I love color and I know you do too. It is VERY crucial that you moisturize 10x's times as much with color! DEEP CONDITON AND PROTEIN TREATMENTS AS MUST! Your ends will love you for this, if not you can experience a case of dry ends or breakage NO Bueno! As you know I have hd my same color since last July, however I am finding I am cutting my hair as much as I am growing. UGH! I Feel like my hair should be way Loonger than it is now. I call myself doing a good job moisturizing, but it needs more. For me when this color grows out completely, 9 times out of 10 It will be my last. BTW you will fall more in love with your hair once you start experimenting with the endless possiblities of hair styles. You gotta keep variety or you will get bored or be hunted by the creamy crack LOL! #NaturalChicas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT (in response to the photos!)....I CAN'T BELIEVE IT (in response to the treatment from a "iconic" natural hair company) I TOLD YOU AND I KNEW IT (in response to your hair being wavier than you thought) I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!! (directed to the beautiful woman who wrote this blog whose beauty increases as she sees the additional innermost beauty that lies beneath the outer beauty......um.....beauty!)

    ~1 2wo 5ive, over!

    ReplyDelete